Hello Barracuda Community!
We are excited to be back in action for with the club now that the pools is back in full swing. Our registration numbers are up again this season and we can't wait to watch the swimmers as continue their growth over the coming year!
I wanted to highlight a few things that we will see in the near future so that both new and returning folks know what is coming over the next little while. Buckle up and please read all the way through as there is a lot coming our way already this season!
- The Mr Lube Invitational is coming up in Prince George November 18th-20th. Registration is underway for our swimmers, if you have any questions about the meet or your swimmers eligibility please check with the coaches.
- These meets take a large number of volunteers, the expectation is that if you have a swimmer in the meet that you have at least one volunteer available for each day of the meet as well. Please keep in mind that these requirements are set to ensure we can offer a high level of competition for our kids, our volunteer board are working hard to fill gaps, please ensure you sign up in advance and are doing whatever we can to help fill these positions. If you have not signed up for a position your swimmer will be unable to swim in the meet.
- If you have a swimmer into their second year of racing it is important that you have a family member working through the levels and into the red shirt positions as an official. These positions are critical in our clubs ability to put on a swim meet. This gives us flexibility to cover so many different roles that are required during the weekend of a swim meet.
- Sarah Gray (Director of Officials) is hard at work putting the officiating schedule together, please sign up if you have not done so already. If you are unsure of what position you should sign up for please reach out to Sarah. Please do not make Sarah send multiple messages to try and lineup role with the swim meet, there are a lot of moving pieces that she is already pulling together and she does not have time to chase folks for a response on where they can be slotted into the various positions. Sarah can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Fundraising is well underway with some options that Nicole Ellington has put together for the club. Please support these initiatives as they are a great way for the families to earn some of the levy back.
- We have started a new group " Introduction to Swim School" in order to help our young swimmers who need to gain some confidence in the water before beginning to swim full laps. This is a fantastic opportunity for us to introduce new swimmers to our club at a young age. Please help us spread the word!
- We will be holding a Parent, Coach and Volunteer social shortly. Looking forward to a great night! Details will be announced when the venue and date are secured.
- Do you love Social Media? We are looking for someone to help us create content for the club. Helping advertise events coming up, shine a light on our clubs accomplishment and keep our sponsors top of mind. If you have the time and skills please reach out to either myself or one of the coaches.
- Equipment Manager Required- We are looking for a volunteer to help organize and reorder equipment that the club requires through the year. If this is something that you can help with please let us know.
- Meet Manager Required- First of all we are extremely lucky to have Jason Vaughn holding this position and helping setup all of the meet details in the background. While Jason is still working in the role we also need someone to work with him in a shadow position that will help us fill the gap as his swimmer graduates the club in the future. If you are good with technology and attention to details this might be a great role for you! Ideally you have a younger swimmer in the club who is doing well and you expect to be around for a few years as they grow with the club.
The Prince George Barracudas are very fortunate to have several members of our swim family stay with the club to help officiate and run other club functions. I want to personally thank all the folks that have been a part of our club to ensure our success while new folks are coming up to take on those roles. We have multiple officials that have come through our program that have gone on to officiate at the Provincial and National Level. To hold these accreditations is a great accomplishment and we are thankful to have these folks helping to teach our upcoming officials and put on the swim meets that we hold in Prince George. Thank you to Larry Chrobot, Kerim Ozcan, Marylin King, Sheila Nelson, Mike Moran, Kathy Rice, Phil Rice, Kelly Esopenko, Don MacNeil, Shelley Movold and Jose Lopez. We could not put on the level of meet that we do without your guidance and support. Thank you!
The board is back in action after our AGM with a couple new faces that are joining as well. This is an exciting time as we come out of the Covid years to get back to a full program for our swimmers. Thank you to Clayton Wilkinson for his time on the board as he finished his term in 2022.
The Barracuda Swim Club has meant a great deal to our family. An opportunity for our kids to swim and train at a high level, learn how to set goals and go after them and meet some incredible folks in the swim community in the process. I look forward to this year to see our team come together and work to build some character and resilience in our swimmers.
If you want to reach out with any questions our comments for the board please let me know.
President, Barracuda Swim Club